There is often confusion around what a Web 2.0 blog/site actually is.
All it refers to is a host site where you can open an account and create your own sub-site.
For example, everybody knows about blogger. You go to blogger.com, create an account, or log in using a Google account, and start a blog.
There are other platforms out there, where you can do the same thing, such as WordPress.com and of course here at boosites.
So that’s what a Web 2.0 site is, it is simply a place where you can create your own free (or sometimes paid) site, also known as a hosted site, meaning someone hosts it on their server for you, rather than you renting your own webspace.
Why should we create these types of site?
There are several reasons why you would want to create a website.
The first is that you don’t have a website and want one, but don’t have much money to set up your own hosting and use your own domain.
The second reason is that you want a blog/website that is separate your main website.
The third reason is that you want to use the free Web 2.0 blog site to build a link to your main site.
The third reason is less obvious, so let’s go through that in more detail.
Google likes relevant links. To build a relevant link you need to have a link that is embedded in relevant content.
So by creating a free blog site, creating several pages of content and then adding a link to your main site, you are building a relevant link.
Now this link will not have much power in it. That’s because you’ve just created a new website that has no authority. But over time, and with your help by building a few links to it, your new Web 2.0 blog site can develop into a strong link to your main site.
That’s why some people refer to creating these sites as link building, which is another area of confusion I hope we have cleared up.
Creating a Web 2.0 blog site in 10 minutes
Whatever the reason for creating free blog site, the process can be very quick. So let’s go over it right now:
1. Sign up to Boosites and confirm your email address.
2. You can then login to your new account and click the link to create your blog site.
3. Complete the form with the name and title of your new site, your contact email address and a couple of other details, and submit it.
4. You will then be given access to your admin panel. This admin panel is run by WordPress, so if you are familiar with WordPress you will be able to use Boosites to create a site in the same way. If you haven’t used it don’t worry, it’s explained below. We also have videos in your admin panel that explain how you can use all the options in your account. We also have a support email helpdesk in your account if you get really stuck.
5. Once you are inside your admin area select a theme that you want to use from the appearance menu. The theme you select will dictate how your site looks.
6. In the appearance menu then go to widgets and add or delete widgets that you want to appear in your sidebar. This could be links to other sites, your latest posts and pages, or photos and images.
7. In appearance menu go to the menu link and create a menu that will display links to the main areas of your new blog site and save it.
8. Now create your first page. Click on pages and add new. Then create a page called contact and add a contact page will stop you can then use the contact link in your admin menu to create a form that you can paste into this contact page.
9. Create a second page called about and write general information about who you are why you have set up this site.
10. Go to the posts menu and click add new. This will allow you to create your first blog post.
11. Write your content, or paste it in, give it a good title, click on the infinite SEO options underneath the edit box that you want to use, upload a featured image if you want to using the featured image link on the right of the page, click to select the category you want it appearing, or add a new category if you don’t have any yet, then hit publish.
Repeat And Build A Valuable Site
That’s it. You now have a basic Web 2.0 blog site. You can now repeat the posts process to create several pages of content on the topic of your choice.
If you are creating it to build a link to another website, you can add a link into that content, but we recommend only doing it once and don’t ever use affiliate links on our site network please otherwise your site will be elated.
It really is that simple and as long as you have the content upfront, or use voice recognition software, you really can create a multipage website in as little as 10 minutes, giving you a blog, and external marketing tool for your main website, or a way of building links.
In terms of content, we recommend using original content that people can read and get knowledge from.
Put it this way, if the content is unreadable rubbish then Google won’t index it and nobody will ever read it, so what is the point in wasting your time on creating a Web 2.0 blog site for link building or traffic purposes if nobody ever read it?
A little time, as little as 10 minutes, spent at this stage creating something worthwhile can give you a powerful marketing tool or powerful link the years to come.